As an Ascend Site Reliability Engineer, you will design, construct, and scale our infrastructure services. You will have the chance to define and evangelize infrastructure and engineering standard methodologies, and pull from your experience to develop creative solutions to a variety of infrastructure challenges. We believe the best teams are those comprised of individuals who have demonstrated excellence in a variety of areas, love sharing knowledge with their team, and actively seek out environments where they are not the smartest person in the room.
What you’ll do:
- You will design and own system configuration, infrastructure provisioning, production deployments, system monitoring, and alerting.
- Evangelize and advocate best practices for reliability, logging, monitoring, build and testing.
- Write high-quality code (Python, Scala and Go) and author tools that automate everything possible.
- You will solve issues spanning multiple systems and technology stacks.
- You are willing to “carry the pager” (alongside the rest of the team), but prefer building systems stable enough that you rarely get paged.
What we look for:
- Architects: You have a strong understanding of application architectures and how to build and manage large-scale systems. You have concrete understanding of distributed systems, application design, and their operational impacts.
- Performance: You are an expert at system performance and monitoring.
- Automation: You have good working knowledge of build automation and continuous integration; familiarity with Bazel and CircleCI a plus.
- Knowledge: You have experience with infrastructure services such as Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, ElasticSearch, MongoDB, and Cassandra. You have a deep understanding of containers and container orchestration; experience with Kubernetes a plus.
- Experience: Minimum 3+ years in DevOps/SRE roles in large scale environments. Experience operating a production service on AWS and GCP.
- Education: BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related field.
In addition, there are some characteristics that we look for in all members of the Ascend team:
Polymaths: we believe the best teams are those comprised of individuals who have demonstrated excellence in a variety of technical areas, love sharing knowledge with their team, and actively seek out environments where they are not the smartest person in the room.
Context seekers: we love the 5 Whys technique. Why? The more you ask, the more context you have about our market, our company, our mission, and our product. Why (do we care)? With more context, you make more well informed decisions by yourself. Why (is this important)? It means less process, less management overhead, and most importantly, more personal growth for you.
Impact thinkers: the biggest challenge we face each day is how best to invest our time. The best people we've worked with have this remarkable ability to take a step back and identify how they, and the company, can have the largest impact. They are the ones who view the design of the wheel as sufficient, and passionately pursue the innovations that most profoundly affect our users.
Foundation builders: every team, when designing technology, tools, or process, must decide for which horizon to build. Do you design with the next few months, years, or decades in mind? We believe great engineers build for horizon n+1, while designing for n+2. Great engineers find that incredible balance between simplicity and extensibility, initial and recurring time investments.
What we offer:
- Long-term & short-term disability
- Stock options
- Caltrain shuttle
- Free lunches, dinners & snacks
- Fancy espresso machine
Ascend.io is an equal opportunity employer. At Ascend.io, we are committed to treating all applicants fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law. One of our core values is, "integrity" simply put, we do the right thing, always.